Daniel Eun Of 11 Westside: 10 Tips On How To Stock Your Home Bar
1. Invest in a solid gin. Many of the classics call for it—and with good reason. The botanicals play with so many different flavours, so there’s a lot to explore.
2. Always have two chilled bottles of champagne at the ready. You never know when you might need a glass of bubbles to celebrate—and sometimes the reason for celebration is that you have a chilled bottle of champagne.
3. A “story bottle” is a must. Have you ever stumbled on some crazy bull penis vodka while travelling through the Alps? Do you still have a bottle from your college days with the dregs still in it? Display them proudly. All bars (and home bars in particular) are about sharing experiences. You should have a bottle that means something to you.
4. Garnishes are important. You’re going to need citrus, mint and cucumbers for a lot of drinks. And berries, too. The upside is that the leftovers can always go into your breakfast the next morning (afternoon?).
5. Don’t forget bitters: stock up on the trinity of Angostura, Peychaud’s and orange… Then go wild!
6. Learn how to make simple syrup at home. It lasts a long time in the fridge, and having it on hand just makes life a little easier.
7. Master the art of clear ice blocks. The secret is to use pure water, and boil it twice. Fill an Igloo- style cooler and put it into your freezer with the top open. This mimics the dynamics of water freezing in a pond and allows for one-directional freezing. Once you see that the water is almost completely frozen, just take the cooler out and keep it upside down until the ice falls out.
8. Please keep Vermouth in the fridge, and make sure it’s still good before serving. If you can’t use it fast enough by just drinking Manhattans, spritzes are a good alternative.
9. Stock up on the right glasses and pick up a few cool gimmicky tools. It impresses guests.
10. Don’t be afraid to shake it. The cocktail shaker, that is. If you’re making a cocktail, you want to “wake up” your drink.
Follow Daniel on Instagram @make_em_say_eun