HokkaidonRestaurant, $, Japanese, Tai Koo
Opens at: 11:30keyboard_arrow_down
Mon - Sun
- Mon - Sun 11:30-22:30
- +852 2577 0828
- Shop 313, 3/F, Cityplaza, 18 Taikoo Shing Road, Tai Koo, Hong Kong
- Accept Credit CardYes
- Dress CodeSmart Casual
- Vegetarian DishLess than 5
- Bring Your Own BottleYes
- CorkageHK$250 per bottle
- Smoking AreaNo
- Car ValetNo
Before smoothie bowls and Buddha bowls, there was chirashi don. Meaning “to scatter” in Japanese, chirashi is basically sushi and sashimi with a variety of ingredients layered atop white sushi rice. Fuss-free, delicious and Instagram-friendly, the bowls (aka “don”) take centre stage at Hokkaidon, a clean and minimal Japanese restaurant at Cityplaza. Besides the Signature Hokkai Don (which is topped with sea urchin, scallop, botan shrimp, crab claw, flounder, salmon, salmon roe and abalone), there are also several hot options (including those topped with chicken katsu curry, beef with onsen egg or prawn tempura) and miniature-sized dons to sample. Jet-fresh sashimi platters are also available, featuring seafood flown in daily from Japan. Service is quick and efficient in typical Hong Kong fashion, but don’t end your meal without trying Hokkaidon’s desserts, including the smooth and silky Hokkaido milk crème brûlée and cake.
What to order
- “Yukhoe” Tuna With Avocado – Topped with a quail’s egg yolk, the “yukhoe” tuna with avocado was a refreshing starter that combined strips of fresh tuna with sprouts and avocado chunks, wrapped in a crisp layer of seaweed.
- Sashimi Platter (5 kinds) – Presented on an attractive platter, the sashimi at Hokkaidon tastes especially clean, fresh and sweet.
- Hot Mini Don (Kabayaki eel, prawn tempura, crispy fried chicken filet) – The trio of hot mini don offers a taste of Hokkaidon’s cooked specialties, including the tasty Kabayaki eel, crispy prawn tempura and plump fried chicken.
Don’t miss Hokkaidon’s special udon and don sets that change with the seasons.