Restaurant, $$$$, Japanese, Wan Chai
Opens at: 18:30keyboard_arrow_down
Mon - Sun
- Mon - Sun 12:00-14:30
- +852 2584 7722
- Mezzanine Floor, Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, 1 Harbour Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- Private Room2 rooms for 6-8 persons
- Accept Credit CardYes
- Dress CodeSmart Casual
- Vegetarian DishMore than 10
- Bring Your Own BottleYes
- CorkageHK$500 per bottle
- Smoking AreaNo
- Car ValetYes
It can be risky when a restaurant shoots for a “something for everyone” approach, but Kaetsu has managed to make it work—and well. In addition to serving superb sushi and sashimi, the menu comprises various Japanese cuisines, ranging from shabu shabu to grilled delicacies and tempura, all of which are executed with the same level of care, dedication and quality. A seasonal menu is also available and is worth entertaining, as it often features unique produce flown directly from Japan and prepared in creative ways that allows it to shine. A standout dish is the Japanese young corn, caramelised in honey and soy for an incredibly moreish savoury-sweet treat. But the star is without a doubt the raw selection, and if you’re unsure what to choose à la carte, you can have absolute confidence when opting for any of the chef’s omakase menus. The dark and sensual interiors are impressive, with a number of private rooms, making this ideal for a romantic night out or an intimate dinner with friends.
What to order
- You really can’t go wrong with the sushi and sashimi here - quality fish served at just the right temperature for optimum enjoyment.
- Tempura kinki fish, brilliantly crunchy on the outside and almost melt in your mouth soft on the inside.
- Miso-marinated black cod, a classic executed beautifully.
If you’re on a date or out to impress, opt for a private room or sit by the sushi bar. The booths here feel very casual and rather dampen the experience of a high end sushi restaurant.