Osteria MarziaRestaurant, $$$$, Italian, Wan Chai
Opens at: 12:00keyboard_arrow_down
Mon - Fri
Sat - Sun
- Mon - Fri 12:00-15:00
- +852 3607 2253
- G/F, The Fleming, 41 Fleming Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- Accept Credit CardYes
- Dress CodeSmart Casual
- Vegetarian DishLess than 5
- Bring Your Own BottleYes
- CorkageHK$500 per bottle
- Smoking AreaNo
- Car ValetNo
Osteria Marzia’s selling point is clear the moment you set foot into the restaurant. At the entrance is an array of globally sourced whole fresh fish on ice, which may include sea bass, sea bream, barramundi, amadai and more. The cooking, however, is classic Italian and depending on the fish, will be grilled, salt-baked, cooked in a brown butter and caper sauce, or poached in a tomatoey broth (acqua pazza). The menu proper continues the celebration of southern Italian coastal cuisine, with simply prepared hot and cold dishes using top ingredients. Rustic chitarra pasta is studded with chunks of Boston lobster, while a seafood tower is packed with fire-roasted shellfish and fish swimming in a buttery, mild chilli sauce. Complementing the food is the nautical-chic, double-height dining room, which unfortunately looks out onto a busy Wan Chai flyover. Staff, nattily dressed in blue-and-white striped tops, are attentive and well informed; the sommelier recommended Tascante Ghiaia Nera, an easy-drinking Sicilian red from the exclusively Italian wine list, to match the more robust seafood dishes.
What to order
- A starter of raw hamachi, dressed with little more than salt, pepper, olive oil, tomatoes and salad leaves, sings of the sea.
- Fresh chitarra pasta is made in-house and comes with chunks of sweet Boston lobster and a rustic basil and tomato sauce.
- Fire-roasted seafood tower can be shared between four, and is packed with mussels, clams, prawns, lobster and fish swimming in a buttery, mild chilli sauce.
The corner table is the pick of the seating for a full view of the restaurant and open kitchen.