RootsRestaurant, $$, Chinese, European, Wan Chai
Opens at: Next Tuesday 12:00keyboard_arrow_down
- Mon Close
Tue - Fri
- +852 2623 9983
- G/F, 7 Sun Street, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- Accept Credit CardYes
- Dress CodeCasual
- Vegetarian DishMore than 5
- Bring Your Own BottleYes
- Smoking AreaNo
- Car ValetNo
Quaint neighbourhood restaurants are always a welcome sight in Hong Kong, especially when you can enjoy a brief escape from the city and pair it with a glass of wine. At Roots, located on the ever-trendy Sun Street in Wan Chai, the menu creatively incorporates a world view that captures the city’s mix of East-meets-West cultures. The brief menu offers a variety of small plates and sharing options, many inclusive of iconic Cantonese flavours or ingredients that have been incorporated into dishes with a French foundation. The perfect setting for solo dining, intimate groups or larger parties, diners shouldn’t miss the shrimp toast or the spicy creamy clams. The larger-format roasted French spring chicken with glutinous rice stuffing is a cross-cultural ode to the classic chicken and rice. Wine pairing is recommended with the dishes, giving diners a cheeky excuse to linger longer.
What to order
- An easily overlooked dish at Cantonese restaurants, the Shrimp Toast at Roots makes an easy highlight as a starter.
- Roasted French Spring Chicken with Glutinous Rice Stuffing is the piece de resistance, juicy chicken over a bed of creamy rice is a winner for any occasion.
- The Ginger Crème Brulee is a text book classic, but the sharpness from the ginger is reminiscent of the Chinese ginger milk pudding, but better with the burnt sugar crust.
Roots is open for lunch and dinner with brunch on weekends; be sure to book a table especially when the weather is nice out.
- Top 20 Best Restaurants
- Rising Star Award