Restaurant, $$$$, Japanese, Tsim Sha Tsui
Open now ( Close at: 23:00 )keyboard_arrow_down
Mon - Sun
- Mon - Sun 12:00-15:00
- +852 2733 2933
- 1/F, The Royal Garden, 69 Mody Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
- Private Room4 rooms for 4-18 persons
- Accept Credit CardYes
- Dress CodeSmart Casual
- Vegetarian DishMore than 5
- Bring Your Own BottleYes
- CorkageHK$500-$900 per bottle
- Smoking AreaNo
- Car ValetYes
In a previous life, Shikigiku was a tempura specialist, but to widen its appeal, it has broadened its menu to offer diners a bit of everything. In addition to its signature tempura, which includes live prawns and other seafood plucked from a tank, then battered and deep-fried before your very eyes, guests can opt to sit at sushi or teppanyaki counters (or regular tables and chairs) and order off the extensive à la carte menu of traditional Japanese dishes. Apart from seafood, beef features prominently, and includes top-grade Japanese and US beef served many ways—including sashimi, sukiyaki, shabu shabu or teppanyaki. Complementing the cuisine is a large selection of sake from a list that includes sommelier recommendations, though some tasting notes would be helpful. The interiors are modern, if a little plain, but don’t be deceived by that fact or its location in a retro hotel arcade; the prices at Shikigiku are premium.
What to order
- Japanese live shrimp tempura is plucked from a tank, battered and deep-fried in front of your very eyes.
- Toro can be swapped out for an extra serve of uni in the 10-piece deluxe assorted sushi plate.
- Stir-fried seafood udon, which includes large chunks of river prawn and scallop, has good smokiness thanks to being cooked on a teppanyaki grill.
If not eating at a sushi, tempura or teppanyaki counter, the best seats are the banquettes that run the length of the main dining room.