Restaurant, $$$$, Chinese, Cantonese, Admiralty
Opens at: 11:30keyboard_arrow_down
Mon - Sat
- Mon - Sat 11:30-15:00
- +852 2820 8552
- 5/F, Island Shangri-La, Hong Kong, Pacific Place, Supreme Court Road, Admiralty, Hong Kong
- Private Room4 rooms for 8-16 persons
- Accept Credit CardYes
- Dress CodeSmart Casual
- Vegetarian DishMore than 10
- Bring Your Own BottleYes
- CorkageHK$500 per bottle
- Smoking AreaNo
- Car ValetYes
There’s no shortage of Chinese restaurants in the city, so it can be difficult for an establishment to stand out. So you’ll be pleasantly surprised at Summer Palace, where you’ll find Chinese classics from a deep-fried spring roll with a hint of truffle pesto (crisped to perfection) to a steamed grouper fillet with a flavourful black bean sauce, all served in smart portions and with exceptional ingredients. It’s usually especially difficult to taste more than a few dishes at Chinese restaurants where portions are made for sharing, so the set dinner of six dishes provides a great way to taste the signatures without feeling too stuffed post-meal. You’ll also rarely have difficulty booking a table and can expect nothing short of five-star service by a discreet and professional waitstaff. With a grand dining hall, complete with gilded ceilings and carved wooden double-doors, it’s also a great place for families looking for an upscale yet still casual setting to celebrate a special occasion or to bring friends from overseas to experience local cuisine at its finest.
What to order
- The deep fried spring roll with mixed mushrooms and truffle pesto nails the delicate balance between the spongey and flaky texture that so many others struggle to achieve.
- Like having a traditional whole steamed fish without the mess, the tiger garoupa fillet with beach curd is drenched in a flavourful soy sauce with chunks of perfectly seasoned black beans for a hint of saltiness in every bite.
- It’s subtle, but the salted fish and fragrant mixed herbs in the appropriately dry fried rice with eggs makes all the difference in making it stand out, though the fresh jumbo prawns lack a bit of flavour.
Not all tables are created equal. If you desire more privacy as a small party of two, be sure to ask a more secluded corner near the stairs.