Restaurant, $$, Chinese, Cantonese, Tsim Sha Tsui
Open now ( Close at: 23:00 )keyboard_arrow_down
Mon - Sat
- Mon - Sat 11:30-15:00
- +852 2724 2666
- Basement 2, The Royal Garden, 69 Mody Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
- Private Room6 rooms for 1-16 persons
- Accept Credit CardYes
- Dress CodeSmart casual
- Vegetarian DishMore than 10
- Bring Your Own BottleYes
- CorkageHK$300 per bottle
- Smoking AreaNo
- Car ValetYes
Sharing the basement level of The Royal Garden with another Chinese restaurant, Dong Lai Shun, The Royal Garden Chinese Restaurant is popular amongst Kowloon diners for its generous Cantonese fare and abundance of private rooms, making it convenient for large gatherings. The menu features eternal favourites such as the hefty, conical steamed minced pork patty, which comes complete with a full salted egg yolk hidden in the middle, as well as banquet-worthy dishes such as wok-fried noodles with lobster and egg whites. While the classics exist for a reason, it’s a shame that the restaurant is behind the times in a variety of ways, such as the serving of shark’s fin, the sodium-heavy flavours across the board that overwhelm the innate flavours of the ingredients, the disorienting décor—the elevator is on the other side of the reception, so take the escalators for a smoother experience—and the negligible wine service, although on the last point, the good news is that you can bring your own bottles at a reasonable cost.
What to order
- The conical steamed minced pork patty, filled with a salted egg yolk, is tender and piping hot – a good take on home-cooked comforts.
- Order a “half fat, half lean” portion of the honey roasted barbecued pork for the best balance between juiciness and charred, crispy edges.
- The rich, delicately braised shiitakes in the braised assorted vegetables with bamboo piths defy the norm that vegetable dishes are short on flavour.
To find the reception desk of this basement restaurant, head down the escalators, not the elevator (which will land you in the back of the restaurant).