UmiRestaurant, $$$$, Japanese, Central
Opens at: 12:00keyboard_arrow_down
Mon - Sat
- Sun Close
- Mon - Sat 12:00-15:00
- +852 2956 3177
- Shop 3, G/F, 159 Hollywood Road, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
- Accept Credit CardYes
- Dress CodeSmart casual
- Vegetarian DishLess than 5
- Bring Your Own BottleYes
- CorkageHK$500 per bottle
- Smoking AreaNo
- Car ValetNo
There’s no shortage of sushi joints in Hong Kong; however, intimate omakase sushi has always proven to be a welcome choice in the city. With an inconspicuous entry, Umi is a contemporary Edomae-style sushi bar headed by chef Yukio Kimijima. Featuring a seasonal nigiri sushi-only menu, diners sit centre stage with the chef as each dish is created live from start to finish. With an engaging chef, the experience is sure to be eye-opening, with plenty of opportunities for sushi aficionados to ask questions and exchange conversation. Reservations are required via phone or online.
What to order
- The truffle rice starter is a sharply constructed bite with expertly cooked rice and perfectly balanced black truffle seasoning.
- Although the sushi menu is seasonal, the bell pepper sushi is a surprising inclusion; flavourful and fresh, a nice segue to the richer fish that complete the sushi course.
- Matcha chocolate truffles complete the meal, a simple yet impactful bite of sweetness rounds out nicely with a sip of green tea.
Be sure to book ahead through phone or online and opt for the sake pairing for an optimal experience.