5 Ultra-Mod Make-up Looks For The Hong Kong Tatler Ball 2018
1/5 "Phosphorescent future"
By: Jaime Smith at Smudge Makeup Artistry
Inspired by the familiar use of metallics to represent the not so distant future. Instead of using traditional silver to personify industry and technology, this cyborg look is a more contemporary Bronze Beauty. Mixing the current trending pallet of rose gold, deep oranges, gold, copper and bronze makeup shades. Skin is tanned, contoured, glowing and lustrous. While the brows are almost non-existent influenced by Davis Bowie’s futuristic alter ego, Ziggy Stardust.
- Eyes: Tom Ford cream and powder eye duo in Naked Bronze and Golden Peach
- Face: Fenty Kilowatt Highlighter in Mean Money and Hustla Baby
- Lips: Kylie Cosmetics Metal Matte Lip paint in Heir
Achieve an ultra modern makeup look by keeping the face neutral and glowing—this is key in emphasising certain features. For the eyes, bring intensity with blurred lines, graphics and glitter. As with most futuristic interpretations, daring and bold pigments can go seamlessly with complementary outfits. For the lips, a multi-coloured glossy look will bring an extra oomph.
- Eyes: NYX Glitter Primer, Make Up For Ever Glitter & Strass in Glitters, Make Up For Ever Star Lit Powder eyeshadow
- Lips: Popstar Cosmetics Diamond Gloss in White Diamond
3/5 "Mixed metals"
By: Megumi Sekine, Make-up Artist
Metallics are often used to represent futuristic looks, so make a strong statement by using a combination of gold and silver hues. To make your eyes really stand out, keep the rest of the face natural. Pair it with glowing skin and nude lips for a more iridescent look.
- Lemonhead Spacepaste in Gildebeest (champagne gold) and Silverlake (mirrored silver)
4/5 "Modern jewels"
By: Ka Lam at Kalamakeup
Step up your modern makeup look with the addition of clear, champagne gold, aquamarine and emerald stones in various shapes around the neck and collarbone, applied using adhesive gel (such as eyelash glue). For the eyes, a strong smokey eye with nude lips will add a sense of drama, particularly if you're wearing a deep V-neck evening gown.
- Eyes: Pat McGrath eyeshadow palette - Mothership I: Subliminal Palette
- Lips: Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk lipstick
5/5 "Blade Runner"
By: Gabbie Lee Makeup
Inspired by Japanese artist Hajime Sorayama's sexy feminist robots and the flying cards in Blade Runner 2049, this futuristic yet modern makeup look is all about the eyes. Rim the upper and lower eyelids with metallic blue eyeliner or gel, extending it out above half of the eyelids, right on top of the hollow of the eye sockets for the dramatic yet wearable look. Add silver glitter eyeliner on the lower eyelids for a whimsical effect. Finish the look with a pearly nude lipstick and top it off with lip gloss.
- Eyes: NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick in Little Denim Dress as base, Makeup Forever Aqua Liner Diamond Liners on top, Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Eyeliner in Glamrock on lower eyelids
- Face: Pony Effect Contouring Master Palette #Fabulous
- Lips: MAC Warm Ice Frost Lipstick, MAC Pearl Varnish Studio Eye Gloss
See also: Hong Kong's Top 8 Makeup Artists